The Methodist church established the school in 1940, apparently to fill a vacuum left by the establishment of Mmofraturo Girls Boarding School. The Church needed a middle boarding school for only boys.
The school started in a bungalow located opposite Freeman College, Kumasi, Ghana. Within a few years, the enrollment shot up as a result, the church began to look for a permanent site for the school. The leadership of the church went to Manhyia to find a parcel of land for the construction of the school. Fortunately, the Akroponghene at that time, Nana Kwabina Sarfo II, had earlier on informed Otumfour Sir Osei Agyemang Prempeh II, about his disappointment over a land he had offered to a group of people to build a school, which they had refused to take Otumfour then directed that the said land in Akropong, be given to the church to build the school.
Otumfour Sir Agyemang Prempeh II, showed keen interest in the building of the school. He further directed that the school should be named after Otumfour Osei Tutu, the founder of Asante Kingdom. In recognition of the effort by Otumfour, Sir Osei Agyemang Prempeh II and Nana Kwabina Sarfo II, Akroponghene, the two premier houses in the school were named after them.
The founding headmaster was Rev. Arthur W. Banks, B. Sc, M.A, after whom Banks House is named. Rev. Banks was assisted by Messrs. A.C. Denteh and Eric Awuah. From the beginning, Osei Tutu has produced illustrious sons. There were 13 pupils in the initial class. The initial class produced such prominent Ghanaians such as Dr. Charles Graham, one time senior lecturer of KNUST, Mr. Isaac Oguame Tettey, B. Sc., B Com (former solicitor and advisor to the Bank of Ghana), Peter James Adjei (one time great footballer and coach of the Black Stars), and Mr. Peter Kofi, B.A, B. Com a one-time resident in the U.K. Eminent citizens such as His Excellency former President J.A Kuffour, Mr Addo Kuffour (one time Minister of Defense) and Justice Amoah Sakyi, Chairman of the National Reconciliation Commission and a host of others have passed through the Middle Boarding School.
In February 1948, the school under Mr. J.G Quansah, Manager of Avenida Hotel, Accra relocated to the present site at Akropong – Ashanti. At the time of the transfer to the present site, enrolment was 120 boys under the supervision of 5 teachers. The school was, however, closed down in November 1954 because parents could not pay the increased fees. On November 24, 1955 the symbol re-opened as a two-year certificate “B” Training College with the late Mr. A.K. Folson as the first Principal. The teacher training phase began with 60 students and 5 tutors. By 1956 the following infrastructure, four two storey dormitories, each with an attached staff accommodation, six classrooms, one craft shed, a kitchen and a Principal bungalow had been built. Mr. Folson died on 28th July, 1961 and is memorialized in Folson House. He was succeeded by Rev. C.K. Yamoah, B.D. (Lord), a one-time President of the Methodist Church of Ghana in September 1961.
Osei Tutu Training College grew significantly under Rev. Yamoah. The College changed from 2-year certificate “B” to a 4-year Certificate “A”. The college expanded as well in infrastructure. In 1965 a new two storey dormitory was added to accommodate 120 students. Construction of a large Dining-cum-Assembly Hall, a Library, a Science block and three detached staff bungalows were completed in 1968.
Rev. C.K Yamoah also added three more bungalows from the unspent balance of college grants. In addition to these, electricity and pipe borne water were also provided by the government in 1968.
On 22nd September, 1996, Mr. J.O.T. Ansah, B.A, (Hons) D.A, ED succeeded Rev. Yamoah as Principal. Enrolment then was 166 students with 11 tutors. Further expansion was vigorously pursued with a new layout of the campus with the provision of spring beds, foam mattresses, and furniture for staff bungalows which were built from College reserved funds since 1969. Total enrollment in 1971/72 was 386. Osei Tutu Training College excelled academically and in sports and always placed among the top five training colleges in Ghana.
In the 1972/73 academic year in Ghana, Osei Tutu Training College was one of the many training colleges that were converted to secondary schools. Osei Tutu Training College was administered as a dual institution until the training college component was phased out in 1975.
Paapa J.O.T. Ansah led the training college into the secondary era and was succeeded by Mr. Amo Polley, the then Vice Principal. Since then other Headmasters who have been in charge of the school are listed below:
*October 1998 - February 1990: Mr. Samue K.Mensah
*February 1990 - February 1991: Mr. Albert B. Rockson
*February 1991 - October 1996: Very Rev. George K. Abeyie Sarpong
*October 1996 - February 2004: Mr. Ofori Yentumi
*February 2004 - October 2011: Very. Samuel Preprah Yeboah
*October 2011 - January 2016: Mr. Samuel K.Fordjour
*January 2016 - August 2018: very Rev. Kenneth Oteng Dapaah
*August 2018 - Date: Mr. Asare Yeboah